How do I stop using nicotine gum?
How to use Nicorette Gum
- Choose a quit date and start using Nicorette Gum on that date.
- Choose the right product for your quit.
- Chew 1 piece every 1-2 hours for the first 6 weeks of your quit.
- Be sure to use at least 9 pieces of Nicorette a day for the first 6 weeks of your quit.
How can I cut down on nicotine?
Methods to reduce smoking
- Each week choose a few specific cigarettes to give up (for example, the ones you smoke in the car on your way to work).
- Gradually increase the time between cigarettes.
- Smoke only during odd or even hours.
- Limit your smoking to certain places (outside, not at work, not in the car).
How long does nicotine gum withdrawal last?
Withdrawal symptoms often go away in two to four weeks. Some people may experience nicotine withdrawal for several months.
How long should you chew nicotine gum?
Chew nicotine gum slowly until you can taste the nicotine or feel a slight tingling in your mouth. Then stop chewing and place (park) the chewing gum between your cheek and gum. When the tingling is almost gone (about 1 minute), start chewing again; repeat this procedure for about 30 minutes.
What are the long term effects of nicotine gum?
In some published studies, people have used nicotine gum up to five years, according to Richard Hurt, MD, professor of medicine and director of the Nicotine Dependence Center at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. “As far as we now know,” he says, “there are no heart or vascular problems associated with long-term use.”
Can I drink water while chewing nicotine gum?
6. Avoid eating and drinking (especially acidic beverages such as coffee, juice, or soft drinks) for 15 minutes before and during chewing of nicotine gum to make sure all the nicotine from the gum can get into your system. 7.
How many cigarettes a day is heavy smoking?
Background: Heavy smokers (those who smoke greater than or equal to 25 or more cigarettes a day) are a subgroup who place themselves and others at risk for harmful health consequences and also are those least likely to achieve cessation.
How many cigarettes a day is addiction?
Smoking One to Four Cigarettes Daily Can Lead to Nicotine Addiction. Almost two-thirds of people who smoke four or fewer cigarettes a day are addicted to nicotine, a new study finds. The results indicate that lighter smoking is still risky, the researchers say. The study included more than 6,700 smokers.
What happens to your skin when you quit smoking?
Your skin recovers its elasticity when you stop smoking. It will also be smoother, making it more pleasant to look at and touch. Your skin complexion will become visibly brighter in the first few weeks after you stop smoking. After six months, your skin will regain its original vitality.
Which is better nicotine gum or patch?
While there is no clear front-runner among the NRTs when they are used individually, the 2008 Clinical Practice Guideline reports that combining a nicotine patch with either gum or nasal spray is more effective than the nicotine patch alone.
What are withdrawal symptoms from nicotine?
Physical Withdrawal Symptoms
- Appetite. Within a day or so of your last cigarette, your appetite will shoot up for a while. …
- Cravings. Nicotine cravings are the symptom you will deal with the longest, and they could start just 30 minutes after your last cigarette. …
- Cough. …
- Headaches anddizziness. …
- Fatigue. …
What happens if you chew expired nicotine gum?
According to the International Chewing Gum Association, gum is a “stable product” and “not required by law to be labeled with an expiration date in most countries.” Old gum may become brittle or lose its taste over time, but generally remains safe to chew.
Will nicotine gum give you a buzz?
When the nicotine unlocks the receptor, a feel-good chemical called dopamine is released, giving you a little hit or buzz.
Is chewing nicotine gum harmful?
Precautions. Do not use nicotine gum for more than 6 months; it can be harmful and addicting. Chew the gum slowly and follow your doctor’s instructions to avoid side effects and addiction. Do not eat or drink 15 minutes before or while chewing the gum.
What are the side effects of chewing Nicorette gum?
Common side effects of Nicotine Gum include:
- Increased blood pressure.
- Fast heart rate.
- Loss of appetite.
- Indigestion / heartburn.